This information was updated 21 June 2012
History and characteristics of Geesthacht Pumped-storage Power Plant
Geesthacht Pumped-storage Power Plant was commissioned in 1958. The power plant is situated by the River Elbe and is the largest power plant of its kind in northern Germany.
The upper water reservoir, located almost 93 metres above sea level, is 600 metres long, 500 metres wide and has a water capacity of approximately 3.6 million m3. The plant has three turbines with a capacity of 40 MW each, giving a total capacity of 120 MW. After full discharge, the water is pumped up through three parallel pipelines to the water reservoir. The procedure of pumping up water and refilling the reservoir takes nine hours.