Reuter CHP plant
Information on Reuter CHP plant and its history
In 1930, the western power plant (now called Reuter CHP plant), located in the Spandau district of Berlin, was put into operation to cover Berlin's peak load. Initially, all of the plants were demolished at the end of the Second World War, but the reconstruction of the power plant began in 1948, with the assistance of the Berlin Airlift.
In 1956, the plant was converted into a combined heat and power (CHP) plant, which made it all the more important from a strategic perspective. At the time, Reuter CHP plant was the second largest power plant in the whole of the Berlin area.
Reuter CHP plant is currently operated with a power plant block and a turbine. The steam boiler is fired with hard coal and equipped with a highly effective flue gas scrubber. Steam from a neighbouring waste incineration plant is used to operate the turbine.
In line with the environmentally compatible combined heat and power (CHP) principle, this plant generates electricity and heat simultaneously, raising the fuel efficiency rate to 80 percent in the process.