Water information a
One of the first hydro power stations
A hydro power station was erected in the lower parts of the Dalälven River, roughly 100 kilometres from its outlet into the Bothnian Sea, as early as in the late 19th century. The first two generators, with an installed capacity of 200 kW each, were completed in 1898. At that time the power station accounted for one half of Sweden’s electricity generation. During the following decade, several units were constructed and by 1910, it was one of the largest facilities in Sweden. It supplied local companies with electricity, including Sandviken. After signing a contract with Sandviken, a record-breaking cable, stretching 50 kilometres and with a capacity of 20 kV, was installed in order to reach the company’s facilities. In 1936, Vattenfall purchased the facility and operated it until 1980.
Replacing the old station
In 1976, it was deemed unprofitable to refurbish the old power plant, and the construction of a new dam and power station was initiated. By the time the decision was made, the old units had been operating for almost 80 years. The old power station was replaced, but remains on the site as a cultural monument. It still can be operated for demonstration purposes, but it is not part of Vattenfall’s operating assets.