Back to start

Ligga – the first remotely monitored station

Ligga
When construction began at Ligga in 1951, it was nicknamed the triplet at the Lule Älv River (the other two being Porjus and Harsprånget). However, this was not the most appropriate name, since there were actually several differences between Ligga, its older brother Porjus, and the large Harsprånget facility.

History

The construction of Ligga Power Station was to become a stressed and eventful process. Work at Bergeforsen Power Station in the Indalsälven River had become delayed and, to meet the increasing demand for electricity, Ligga had to be brought into operation quickly. At the time, construction at Harsprånget was almost finished and personnel and machinery were transferred and put to work at Ligga. It was a prime example of efficient use of machinery and surpassed that of construction at Harsprånget.

Installing television monitoring

Ligga was again in the spotlight in 1957. Industrial television monitoring – which enabled remote monitoring of industrial processes with the help of television – made its breakthrough at the time. Ligga was the first ever hydro power station to utilise such monitoring. It was remotely operated from Harsprånget and communication was managed through wireless technology. At that time, regular television transmissions were still not available in the north of Sweden. The operators at Harsprånget were, however, at least able to enjoy real-time video footage from Ligga! 

Characteristics of the Lule Älv River

Hydro power is a reliable, safe and renewable source of energy. Today, hydro power accounts for nearly half of Sweden’s total electricity demand. The Lule Älv River, by which Ligga is located, is Vattenfall’s and Sweden’s most important river for hydro power generation.